A FAR-FIELD RIBBON FOR CREATIVE RECORDING
As a stereo far-field ribbon microphone, the R88 Series was designed to capture balanced sound from long distances. Sound sources should be measured in feet rather than inches away from the mic. From 16 inches to 20 feet, the mic retains its full spectrum and incredible low end. When positioned closer than 16 inches, the mic adds proximity effect. When carefully used, this proximity effect can beef up thin sounds — either voices or instruments.
Don’t worry about loud sources, either. The R88 Series can handle 165+ dB SPL at 1 kHz allowing you to position it up-close to avoid room tone if needed. It will not be hurt by loud sources and can be positioned against a stereo guitar amp and other loud instruments.
The R88A: An Active Version
For those without access to an ideal preamp, AEA offers the Active R88A, a premium version of the R88 complete with JFET electronics and the same custom transformer used in our active R44. It’s basically an R88 with a built-in preamp.
R88 SERIES MICROPHONE OVERVIEW
- Features two Big Ribbons™ in a fixed Blumlein and mid-side configuration
- Astonishingly open and natural sound
- Far-field ribbon mic designed to retain low end and top end at a distance
- Stereo version of the AEA N8
- Active R88A version has 12dB level increase and is optimized for all preamps
- Made in the U.S.A.
List of Features:
- ● Same award-winning stereo perspective as the passive R88mk2
- ● Phantom powered (48V) version of AEA’s classic R88mk2 with 12dB moretransformer gain
- ● Compatible with any preamp and input impedance
- ● Fast, accurate transient reproduction
- ● Stereo ribbon microphone that offers a natural sound
- ● Captures amazingly precise stereo imagery with a single mic
- ● Larger-than-normal ribbon elements handle high SPLs with ease
- ● Figure-8, Blumlein Configuration (90 degrees) polar pattern
- ● 141dB Max SPL